Refurbished Consoles | Before + After

Hi loves! Some of you follow me on Instagram and have asked me tons of questions about these dressers I refinished. So I’m hoping this blog post will answer all your questions! Yet again I didn’t take enough progress photos of this transformation… I was in a hurry to get this order done so I only took a few! I promise next time I will take tons of photos and share absolutely everything!

Anywho, here are some photos from my recent furniture makeover!

The first dresser I refurbished was in pretty great shape and so easy to take apart! The top popped right off and the inside bones came off so easily. The second dresser was a whole other story! When I popped off the top it took the front side pieces of wood with it… I had to rebuild it. Unfortunately I don’t have photos of it. Just picture a lot of wood putty… This goes to show that each piece of furniture isn’t just a walk in the park! Sometimes things don’t always go as planned. Don’t get discouraged though!

DRESSER #1

BEFORE

IMG_0878

THE PROCESS

IMG_1071

Took off the top, the middle bar, the drawer slides, the two drawers and the inside bottom. Once the demoing was over I cleaned the dresser, vacuumed it out, and sanded it down.

IMG_2009

I added planked pine 1 x 4’s to the bottom. Every dresser is different so you want to find the right size screws for the job. All I had to do was screw them into the front and make sure they were flush. I then measured the sides and screwed in some plywood. Then the back piece was measured and secured with screws. Since everything fit so tight I didn’t have to screw the back sides of the 1 x 4’s. The back piece holds them into place.

IMG_0373IMG_0427IMG_1948IMG_1064

I always add a wood top! Pine is my favorite and so easy to add to a piece of furniture! I like to have about a half inch to an inch overhang on each side and same with the front and back. If you look closely you can see the screws in place on the sides. I use one for each board on each side.

Unfortunately I never got photos of the painting process (I know photos help me visualize things easier so I’m sorry!). For distressing I didn’t use primer. On all the new wood except for the top I painted them a dark brown. Same as the dresser color. 2 coats. You don’t have to paint the dresser because it’s already brown and will show through the paint just fine. Once the entire dresser was brown (except for the top!) I rubbed a small amount of vaseline on all the edges and spots where I wanted the dresser to look worn. Yes vaseline! At some point I will share a blog post about this process!

Once the vaseline is where I wanted it I painted the entire dresser with Glidden pure white satin paint. 3 coats! After everything was completely dry I took a piece of sand paper and sanded the spots where I had put the vaseline. The trick is to remember where you put it!

AFTER

IMG_1672IMG_1616IMG_0947IMG_1625IMG_1866IMG_1867

DRESSER #2

 BEFORE

The second dresser was pretty tricky! I prayed extra hard to find a match to the first one. Which is usually impossible… but with God… You know what I’m sayin! What I looked for was same measurements, top drawer detail and the bottom design. When I started on it I did the same as the first dresser but It completely took a turn for the worst!

THE PROCESS

IMG_4340IMG_4341

I did all the same steps as I did for the first dresser. The only thing different with this one was I ripped out all the front pieces of wood. I had to add new pieces of wood for the top and bottom to make a frame for the drawer. Each piece was about 1 1/2″ wide. I measured the other dresser to make sure it would look identical. When I took off the top the sides kind of came with it so I had to fill in the missing wood with wood putty.

IMG_4468IMG_4342

I also filled in all the holes I created by accident when demoing. Wood putty and sanding does the trick!

AFTER

IMG_4746

The tops I stained with Minwax Jacobean and sealed with Minwax polycrylic. I also sealed the paint with polycrylic as well. For the second dresser I found a similar piece of molding to the first one and added it to the under part of the drawer. I used liquid nails to attach it and used clips to hold it in place while it dried.

IMG_4738IMG_4739IMG_4744IMG_4719

WHAT & WHERE

  • Pulls – Home Depot
  • Dressers – Craigslist
  • Drawer paper – Walmart
  • Stain – Minwax Jacobean
  • Sealer – Minwax Polycrylic
  • Paint – Glidden Satin (Dresser: Pure white satin) (Brown – color matched to acrylic paint “Espresso”)

Feel free to ask any questions or leave a comment!


2 thoughts on “Refurbished Consoles | Before + After

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s